Updated: Jun 18
JUSTICE FOR CHASE: VIDEO BY MISSING PERSONS AWARENESS NETWORK NFP 501(c)3
WHAT WE KNOW AS OF 5/24/2020
1. Chase is legally diagnosed with Mild Retardation & ADHD. His family describes him in the mentality of a 16 year old.
2. Chase left his apartment in March 2020 and moved in with friends on Mulberry Street in Eldorado.
3. February he was given a ride to pick up his SSI money by his friends he moved in with. March he was given a ride to pick up his SSI money with the same friends.
4. April he had the payee come to his residence on Mulberry to bring him his SSI money stating he didn't have a ride to get there. The payee met him outside of that residence, handed him his money and the payee left.
5. Chase has never been seen leaving or moving out of the residence on Mulberry. Chase has never been confirmed to be seen again after April 15th.
6. All sighting of Chase reported to us have been debunked or unable to be confirmed.
7. May 15 Chase received more money from SSI and he has never called or shown up to pick up his money.
8. In March, a couple called SSI to ask for the payee to be changed to them, so that they could be the responsible financial party in receiving Chase's money.
9. Multiple tips have come in that in March and April Chase looked badly beaten with bruising in both eyes, face and arms and blood shot eyes. He refused medical attention and said he was in an accident driving a 4 wheeler. No tips have ever been able to prove that he was ever seen on a 4 wheeler nevertheless having an accident on one.
10. Chase's phone was disconnected after 30 days of nonpayment in May.
11. The police have confirmed with us that he was NOT listed as endangered as of May 16th. It is unknown if that has been updated or not.
12. The police have confirmed with us that they did not ping his phone as there is no evidence of any foul play. PD is following all leads, and all stories of 'the basement' have not proven to be true as it has been checked several times by law enforcement.
13. There has been no Facebook activity since March 7, 2020.
14. There is no evidence that Chase is alive or deceased. There is no evidence that Chase ever left Eldorado. There is no evidence Chase ever left the residence he was staying at.
We ask that everyone stops the rumors. Please stop approaching the family and putting out horrible stories and rumors. You have no idea what you put the family thru when you say those things. If you have any questions please contact us at (312) 620-0788 or the Eldorado Police Department (number listed on the poster).
UPDATED POSTER AS OF 5/24/2020
There was alot of information at the beginning of Chase's disappearance which were hearsay, and unconfirmed. The Missing Persons Awareness Network NFP 501(c)3 has since visited the area May 20, 2020 and May 21, 2020. We went again May 25, 2020. We have spoken with law enforcement, his family and friends. We have interviewed many persons, and while they had alot to say, we sifted thru the tips. This is for now what we know. The following is information that we have received which we were able to confirm.
Tuesday night about 6PM the Missing Persons Awareness Network NFP 501(c)3 was notified of a tip, of a location in where it was possible a body may have been buried. Once confirmed, 911 was called and law enforcement agencies including the Illinois State Police and the Gallatin Coroner's Office secured the scene and began their investigation. It was confirmed an unidentified body had been located.
Today, June 11, 2020 it is confirmed that Chase Mitchell has been found deceased. No other information from the organization will be released at this time. It has been confirmed the family has been notified. Our deepest condolences to his family and all those who love him.
The homicide investigation continues.
June 12, 2020
Three arrests were made in the murder of Chase Mitchell - Richard & Toria Emerson, and Troy Gwaltney. All three were charged in Saline County.
Court documents allege the three "between April 15 and June 9, 2020, in Saline County, IL, with knowledge that Chase Mitchell had died by homicidal means, knowingly concealed the death of Chase Mitchell by transporting his body for the purpose of disposing of same..."
A bond hearing has been set for Monday, June 15, 2020.
June 12, 2020 Toria Emerson's defense attorney requested disclosure by the state, for (1) a list of prosecution witnesses and a list of last known address of these witnesses for whom the state intends to call as witnesses, with statements they made on record, (2) any official statements made by her or the other co-defendants (Troy & Richard)... official reports which formed the base of their charge brought against her, (4) any official statements made regarding this case by experts including exam results, tests, etc.
Additional charges are expected.
WRUL 97.3 FM spoke to the Illinois State Police: "Illinois State Police is handling the investigation. They removed 5 brown bags worth of evidence and also a piece of a wall. There were also sections of carpet that were confiscated as evidence from Our Father’s House, a church building on Mulberry in Eldorado that the ISP is now in possession of. That building is owned by Sharon Gwaltney, the mother of one of the individuals brought in for questioning in connection with the homicide investigation."
His family, friends and loved ones now turn to Justice for Chase. The investigation into Chase's disappearance and death are in joined efforts with the Illinois State Police, the Eldorado Police Department and others.
Three people, Richard & Toria Emerson, and Troy Gwaltney, all of Eldorado, Illinois have been charged in connection to Chase's murder. The initial charge is concealing a homicide. Other charges are expected. Their bond hearing was Monday 6/15/2020 at 12:30 P.M., which they all received a $150,000 bond, meaning, they only have to pay $15,000 to get out of jail and await court proceedings.
Chase's remains were cremated. His family had a $10,000 life insurance policy on him. Funeral services were set for Tuesday, June 16, 2020.
The Illinois State Police continue their investigation. While many rumors continue to swirl, know that they are just rumors. If you have any information
Chase Mitchell has been found deceased. Three people have been charged in connection with his murder. Additional charges are expected.
July 13 2020 Would begin multiple attempts by Toria Emerson to have her bond reduced and again on September 8, 2020, and again on February 3, 2021. All attempts were denied.
All three defendants have been given a bond amount of $15,000 each. If they come up with the money they will be released and expected to return to the court for all court dates. All three have been admonished (given their requirements and expectations from the Judge). All three have waived their right to a preliminary hearing. All three are expected to have a speedy trial.
Today Troy Gwaltney asked for a reduction of bond and was denied in court. All three continue to sit behind bars. Troy has plead not guilty. His Jury Pre-Trial is September 18, 2020 at 9:00 A.M. at the Saline County Courthouse. The Jury Trial begins October 7, 2020 at 9:00 A.M. (this was later re-set)
Richard Emerson has plead not guilty. His Jury Pre-Trial is September 18, 2020 at 9:00 A.M. at the Saline County Courthouse. The Jury Trial begins October 7, 2020 at 9:00 A.M. (this was later reset)
Toria Emerson's Jury Pre Trial begins September 22, 2020 at 9:00 A.M. The Jury Trial is then on October 7th, 2020 at 9:00 A.M. (this was later reset) Toria has also pleaded not guilty. (these dates were changed multiple times)
As the law details, all persons are considered innocent until proven guilty.
February 18, 2021 the Prosecution asked the court to proceed with consumptive testing. The State reported that during the investigation physical evidence was recovered and there was a small presence of DNA. If they continued testing they would consume most or all of the sample which would then possibly present the Defense with little to no possibility of them having the ability to test this sample for themselves. Six swabs were collected from a shop vacuum that was located in the basement of the residence the Emerson's rented at the time (which was Troy's families property). The Court found that further DNA testing was necessary and that the testing of the DNA may consume the sample. The Court ordered that the State Police Lab was able to proceed with the DNA testing.
April 13, 2021 Toria Emerson somehow came up with the entire $15,000 Bond and was released with restrictions.
May 7, 2021 We noticed that Toria filed for divorce while she was in jail awaiting trial.
June 1, 2021 A Warrant was signed by the judge for Toria's arrest to answer a charge made against her for an additional 3 counts of First Degree Murder. She was to be held without bail pending her hearing. Toria was listed as 'ARMED AND DANGEROUS'
About June 2, 2021, about a year into Chase's murder and only one count of Concealment of a Homicide was charged for each of the three defendants, a turn of events soared thru Saline County after it was announced that each of the three defendants were additionally charged with three counts of First Degree Murder. Soon after, it was silently publicized that a jury trial was set for Troy and Toria, as Richard continued with his known pre-trial events.
June 11, 2021 The Warrant for Toria's Arrest was quashed
Jun 17, 2021 As the Jury trials were set to begin, all in July with Troy's case to being, Toria's to follow and the last jury trial would be Richard's, the State changed once again. After just over a couple of weeks of adding three counts of First Degree Murder for each of the defendants, Richard and Toria's First Degree Murder Charges were Nolle Pros. I can assure you while this may be seem as a heavy hit to Chase's family and those seeking Justice for him, more is to come soon. There is still no trial date set for Richard (Today's court date was cancelled), and Toria's jury trial date vanished. Troy's dates are continued the same, at least for now.
We will keep you updated as the court games continue to play out.